- Point of View – what is the perspective of the author?
- A Dramatic Question – a question that will be answered by the end of the story.
- Emotional Content – serious issues that speak to us in a personal and powerful way.
- The Gift of your Voice – a way to personalize the story to help the audience understand the context.
- The Power of the Soundtrack – music or other sounds that support the storyline.
- Economy – simply put, using just enough content to tell the story without overloading the viewer with too much information.
- Pacing – related to Economy, but specifically deals with how slowly or quickly the story progresses.
Developed by the Center for Digital Storytelling (2005)